The cornea is the clear dome-shaped structure in the front of the eye. It is the first point at which light enters the eye and is refracted. While the cornea plays a critical role in the patient’s vision, many diseases can alter its function causing pain, irritation, tearing or blindness. The cornea can be reshaped during the LASIK procedure and can reduce a patient’s need for eyeglasses.
The cornea itself has 5 main layers including the Epithelium, Bowman’s layer, the Stroma, Descemet’s membrane and the Endothelium. Each of these layers can develop abnormalities.
Common Corneal Conditions
Some more common conditions you may wish to see a corneal specialist for include:
- Dry Eyes
- Herpes simplex virus
- Herpes zoster virus (shingles)
- Epithelial basement membrane dystrophy
- Recurrent erosions
- Corneal abrasions
- Corneal foreign bodies
- Corneal infections
- Fuch’s endothelial corneal dystrophy
We perform the latest techniques of corneal surgery including:
- Penetrating keratoplasty (PKP)
- Deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty (DALK)
- Descemet’s stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty (DSAEK)
- Descemet’s membrane endothelial keratoplasty (DMEK)
- Pterygium surgery/Anterior Segment Reconstruction
- Corneal Collagen Cross-linking
The best defense against corneal disease is early detection. Therefore, it is very important to undergo a yearly comprehensive eye exam. Serving the Fishkill NY, Poughkeepsie NY, Danbury CT and surrounding New York and Connecticut areas, schedule an eye exam with us today!