Laser Vision Correction
What is the Difference between LASIK and PRK?
The specialists at Hudson Valley Eye Surgeons are experts in LASIK and PRK. Both procedures are performed using a cool ultraviolet light beam that corrects the imperfections on your cornea.
LASIK is performed by first creating a thin, circular flap in the cornea. The flap is folded back and the surgeon applies the laser to reshape the underlying corneal tissue. Once your surgery is done, the flap is then laid back in place, covering the area where the corneal tissue was removed.
During the PRK procedure, no cutting is required so the surgeon does not create a flap; rather, the cornea is gently brushed to remove the top-most, superficial corneal cells. The laser is then applied to the underlying tissue. Over the next week, the cells that were removed heal back into place.
While both LASIK and PRK are bundled under the umbrella of, “laser refractive surgery”, one procedure may be better suited to your medical needs. For this reason, your surgical team will perform a careful evaluation of your eyes and medical history to determine which laser vision correction procedure is best for you.
Am I a Candidate?
People with nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism can benefit from LASIK and PRK.
Complete our brief lifestyle checklist below to determine if the procedure might be right for you.
- You are at least 21 years of age
- You currently wear glasses or contact lenses
- You lead an active or social lifestyle
- You avoid using your current vision correction for any of the following reasons:
- Dislike the appearance
- Uncomfortable to wear
- Too expensive to maintain
- Inconvenient to use daily
- Generally dissatisfied with current vision correction options
- You are looking for long-term solution for clear vision
- You seek freedom from glasses and contacts
If you checked two or more boxes, contact Hudson Valley Eye Surgeons to schedule your no-obligation consultation today.
Why Choose Hudson Valley Eye Surgeons?
We understand that finding the right surgeon to perform your laser vision correction procedure can be difficult. The surgical team at Hudson Valley Eye Surgeons is dedicated to providing you with the best experience possible. Instead of following a “one size fits all” philosophy, we customize your procedure to your individual needs.
Our patients enjoy a variety of benefits, including:
- Custom treatment plans based on your needs
- Highly experienced and trained surgeons
- Use of state-of-the-art technology
- A variety of treatment options and techniques
As your hometown eye care specialists, Hudson Valley Eye Surgeons is always committed to your satisfaction and health outcomes.
Contact the staff at Hudson Valley Eye Surgeons today if you have any additional questions, or would like to schedule your no-obligation screening!